I’m going on a last-minute work trip to Bali next week. I’m pretty excited as I’ve never been before and I’ve heard so many good things about the place. While my day-to-day handbag resembles the remnants of a small explosion (loose raisins, faded receipts, loose change, dog-eared business cards and the like), I’m pretty darn organised when it comes to travel packing.
Here are a key essentials I’ll be taking on board . . .
1. Contax G2. It’s a rangefinder film camera that my dad gave me. I’m taking it in addition to my other photographic equipment in the hope that I’ll have some time to experiment with it. It’s known in photographic circles as the photo-journalist’s ultimate companion. Tick!
3. . . . my South African passport. Ok, so maybe us South Africans need to get visas for (almost) every country under the sun but I’m still proud to call that battered old travel document mine.
4. Red Moleskin for note-taking galore.
7. Vintage holder for with a few How I See It business cards inside. Although not one for chatting in-flight, you never know who you might land up sitting next to. . .
8. Aesop Rind Concentrate Body Balm. For obvious reasons.
9. Dermalogica Skin Renewal Booster. As above!
10. Clarins Moisture Replenishing Lip Balm. The only one that (really) works.
11. iPod Shuffle which is in dire need of updating. Any music suggestions??
12. Bose Earphones. (I love these for everyday use but actually prefer the noise cancelling ones for the airplane. WIll try nab my husband’s . . .)